This page contains bill sponsorships in the Senate and House.
Bill sponsorships indicate the topics that legislators are most interested in, and spend the most time on.
on Mar 21, 2013
Bill Sponsorship: Free Syria Act
Source: S.617 / H.R.1327
- Authorizes assistance for humanitarian activities taking place in and outside Syria, including post-transition efforts.
- Authorizes assistance to the Syrian Opposition Coalition (SOC) and Free Syrian Army (FSA), including non-lethal equipment and training to vetted members of the FSA.
- Urges the US to develop a plan for securing conventional and unconventional weapons in Syria and preventing their illicit sale or transfer out of Syria.
Proponent's argument for bill:(by United Free Syria organization): House of Representatives: Free Syria Act (HR.1327):
- Provides funding & other assistance for a peaceful, stable, and organized political transition to a democratic, inclusive government structure, as well as robust economic aid for rebuilding.
- Permits securing and destroying chemical & biological weapons in Syria.
- Increases humanitarian aid dramatically, and also provides for conditional, limited arming
of moderate vetted opposition forces
Senate: Syria Democratic Transition Act (S.617):The House bill would set up a framework under which the Obama administration could deploy anti-aircraft systems to help the rebels fight off the Syrian regime's attacks from above, and assist a post-Assad transition by using sanctions relief and loans from international financial institutions to support a new transitional government. "We believe there are credible options at your disposal, including limited military options, that would require neither putting US troops on the ground nor acting unilaterally," Sens. Levin and McCain wrote. "First, we urge you to lead an effort, together with our friends and allies, to degrade the Assad regime's airpower and to support Turkey if they are willing to establish a safe zone inside of Syria's northern border."
- Provides funding and humanitarian aid, and also provides for increased non-lethal aid to the Etilaf.
- Increases refugee aid funding
Also see the related House of Representatives bill H.R.1327
Participating counts on VoteMatch question 17.
Question 17: Avoid foreign entanglements
Scores: -2=Strongly oppose; -1=Oppose; 0=neutral; 1=Support; 2=Strongly support.
- Topic: Foreign Policy
- Headline: Sponsored funding and supplying the Syrian rebels
- Headline 2: Fund and supply the Syrian rebels
- Key for participation codes:
- Sponsorships: p=sponsored; o=co-sponsored; s=signed
- Memberships: c=chair; m=member; e=endorsed; f=profiled; s=scored
- Resolutions: i=introduced; w=wrote; a=adopted
- Cases: w=wrote; j=joined; d=dissented; c=concurred
- Surveys: '+' supports; '-' opposes.
participating in 13-S617
||s1o||IL Republican Jr Senator||Apr 9, 2013|
||s1o||FL Republican Jr Senator (Retiring 2016)||Mar 19, 2013|
participating in 13-S617
Total recorded by OnTheIssues: