Matt Dean on Abortion
Voted YES on additional requirements for abortion clinics
- A clinic or health center in which the pregnancies of ten or more women are willfully terminated each month shall be licensed by the commissioner of health.
- The operation of such a facility without obtaining
a license is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $300.
- Comprehensive inspections, with no notice required, shall occur up to two times per year.
- The annual license fee is $3,712.
Excerpts from Veto Letter:I am returning
SF1921, because this bill would impose extensive new licensure requirements on [abortion] clinics. The bill is vague in its definition of potential licensure violations, and could permit complaints to be filed for almost any reason. There are
approximately 1,250 clinics in Minnesota already subjected to significant state and federal oversight.
Legislative Outcome: Rep. Matt Dean voted YEA; passed Senate 43-23-1, April 18; passed House 80-47-6, April 20; vetoed April 26
Source: Minnesota Legislative voting records on SF1921
, Apr 20, 2012
Stricter licensure requirements for abortion facilities
Legislative Summary: SF1921 would:
- Impose new licensure requirements upon facilities which perform 10 or more abortions per month
- Apply existing rules for outpatient surgical centers to targeted clinics.
Legislative Outcome: Sponsored by Rep. Matt Dean; passed House 80-47 on April 20; passed Senate 43-23 on April 18; vetoed by Gov. Dayton on May 22.
Source: BillTrack50 on Minnesota legislative voting records: SF1921
, Apr 20, 2012
- [Regarding surgery rules]: Clinics are very different from surgical centers. For example, under surgery center rules, clinics would be prevented from offering other services such as primary and preventive care.
There are six abortion clinics in Minnesota which would be affected by the legislation. All are members of the National Abortion Federation which sets clinical policy standards and inspects every member.
- There is sufficient oversight of clinics,
and there is no evidence of poor quality or unsafe procedures being performed.
Page last updated: Jun 26, 2018