Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Fact-checking on 2022 presidential, gubernatorial, and Senate campaigns
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2022 FactCheck (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Cassidy (2) Republican (Senate run 2014) U.S. Rep Louisiana-6
- Charles Schumer (1) Democratic Sr Senator New York
- Charlie Crist (1) Florida Democratic Governor Challenger
- Don Bolduc (1) Republican Senate Challenger New Hampshire
- Donald Trump (1) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Herschel Walker (4) Republican Senate Challenger Georgia
- JD Vance (2) Republican Senate Challenger Ohio
- John Fetterman (1) Pennsylvania Democratic nominee for Pennsylvania Lt. Gov.
- Jonathan Wichmann (1) Wisconsin Republican challenger for Governor
- Joy Hofmeister (1) Oklahoma Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Justin Olson (1) Republican Challenger for Senate Arizona
- Kevin Stitt (2) Oklahoma Republican Governor of Oklahoma
- Maggie Hassan (1) New Hampshire Democratic Governor
- Mike Lee (1) Republican Jr Senator Utah
- Mitch McConnell (1) Republican Sr Senator Kentucky
- Ron DeSantis (1) Florida Republican candidate for governor
- T.W. Shannon (1) Republican Senate Challenger Oklahoma
- Ted Budd (2) Republican U.S. Rep North Carolina-13
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
EXPLANATORY NOTE by OnTheIssues.org:
"Fact-checking" means that an independent news/political organization examines
statements made in campaign advertising or in poltiical debates, to see if they are objectively true or not.
The first fact-checking organization was called FactCheck.org (described below) but in recent years many other organizations have joined in.
Some that we use are:
Fact-checking has become commonplace in recent years; but originally we used only FactCheck.org.
They are often accused of partisanship (as are all fact-checking services, so we attempt to balance them against each other and report only non-partisan facts here).
Following is FactCheck.org's self-description; all of the other services are linked from above so you can check out their similar self-descriptions:
- FactCheck.org analyses the veracity of statements made during political races.
[OnTheIssues.org excerpts only two types of analyses]:
- From debates and public speeches
- From TV & radio advertisements
- [OnTheIssues.org excerpts do not include poll-based claims; partisan claims; nor "atatck" claims unless they include policy issues].
- Following is the self-description of how FactCheck.org works:
[FactCheck.org is] a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.
The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.
The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Charlie Crist: Voted for Women's Health Protection Act after Roe overturned.
Don Bolduc: FactCheck: Claims NH is pro-life but voters 71% pro-choice.
JD Vance: Unborn babies are not inconveniences to be discarded.
Kevin Stitt: FactCheck: Less than 1% of abortions are after 21 weeks.
Maggie Hassan: Right to abortion in jeopardy if GOP controls Congress.
Ron DeSantis: FactCheck: Only 1.3% of abortions take place after 21 weeks.
Budget & Economy|
Charles Schumer: FactCheck:Inflation Reduction Act reduces inflation a little.
Mitch McConnell: FactCheck:Inflation Reduction Act reduces inflation a little.
Ted Budd: Racist policies due to Democrats; GOP brings people together.
Herschel Walker: FactCheck: Claimed Capitol rioters distracted from fraud.
Joy Hofmeister: FactCheck: Yes, OK has higher crime rate than NY and CA.
Kevin Stitt: FactCheck: OK has higher violent crime rate than NY and CA.
Herschel Walker: Criticizes Biden Administration over false crack pipe policy.
JD Vance: Close the border to end drug trafficking zone.
Herschel Walker: Removed false claim of being a college graduate from website.
Energy & Oil|
John Fetterman: 2018: I oppose fracking; 2022: I support fracking.
Donald Trump: FactCheck: 220,000 American cars sold in Europe, not zero.
Bill Cassidy: FactCheck: Yes, hours-long wait to vote, but now fixed.
Bill Cassidy: FactCheck: Yes, giving water to voters is criminalized.
Herschel Walker: Opposed certifying Biden's Georgia victory, claims fraud.
Ted Budd: Falsely claimed bill would allow minors to vote.
T.W. Shannon: FactCheck: gun violence rate higher in GOP-controlled states.
Principles & Values|
Jonathan Wichmann: Claimed insurrection was led by "Antifa" without evidence.
Mike Lee: FactCheck: worked to overturn Electoral College votes.
Justin Olson: Censorship of conservative voices is unconstitutional(?).
The above quotations are from Fact-checking on 2022 presidential, gubernatorial, and Senate campaigns.