Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Vice Presidential possibilities for 2020
(Click for external website)
This collection of excerpts comes from articles about and interviews of 2020 Democratic vice-presidential prospects.
Often candidates stay in the presidential race, long after they can no longer hope for the presidential nomination,
to position themselves for consideration for the vice presidency.
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2020 Vice Presidential prospects (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (1) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Beto O`Rourke (3) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Jeanne Shaheen (1) New Hampshire Former Democratic Governor (1997-2000); elected Senator 2008
- Joe Sestak (3) Democratic candidate for President; Navy Admiral
- Julian Castro (3) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (6) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Keisha Lance Bottoms (7) Georgia Atlanta Mayor
- Kirsten Gillibrand (5) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Maggie Hassan (1) New Hampshire Democratic Governor
- Michael Bennet (1) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Pence (3) Indiana Republican Vice President
- Sally Yates (4) Attorney General
- Stacey Abrams (1) Georgia Democratic nominee for Georgia Governor
- Steve Bullock (2) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Tim Ryan (2) Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
News coverage and interviews during 2019-2020, for the 2020 vice-presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Wikipedia background: Sally Yates, 4/25/20
- Medium.com blog, "New Steps to Ease Economic Burden on Working People," by Joe Biden, April 9, 2020
- Space.com, "Vice President Pence urges NASA on moon-Mars goal," by Mike Wall, 2/19/2020
- Reporter Newspapers, "Atlanta mayor calls for shielding records of low-level marijuana offenses," by John Ruch, Dec 16, 2019
- Nashua Telegraph, "Animal cruelty is officially now a federal crime," by Casey Junkins, Nov 28, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Vice President Mike Pence, October 27, 2019
- Washington Free Beacon, "Atlanta Mayor: Millions of People Don't Want Their Private Insurance Abolished," by Graham Piro, 8/28/19
- CNN State of the Union, interview of Rep. Tim Ryan, August 25, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Stacey Abrams, August 18, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, August 18, 2019
- Fox News Sunday, interview of Gov. Steve Bullock, Aug 18, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Rep. Beto O`Rourke, Aug 18, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Michael Bennet, Aug 11, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Sen. Kamala Harris, Aug 11, 2019
- NewsFOX 5 Atlanta, "Atlanta mayor, others call for action on guns," August 8, 2019
- The National Review, "Joe Sestak: The Most Interesting Democrat You Forgot Was Running," by Jim Geraghty, August 6, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Rep. Beto O`Rourke, Aug 4, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Secretary Julian Castro, Aug 4, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Secretary Julian Castro, August 4, 2019
- Atlanta Progressive News, "Mayor Bottoms Testifies to U.S. Senate on Climate Change," by Matthew Charles Cardinale, 7/25/19
- The Hill, "Sally Yates: Moral fiber of US being 'stredded by unapologetic racism'," by John Bowden, 7/18/2019
- Breitbart.com, "Joe Sestak on 'Undocumented' Immigrants: 'We Need Them'," by Robert Kraychik, 16 Jul 2019
- Shadow and Act e-zine, "Atlanta's Mayor Working On Plan For Hollywood Money To Be Spent In Georgia," June 14, 2019
- Atlanta Magazine, "Keisha's no Kasim: Inside Bottoms's very different City Hall," by Thomas Wheatley. May 23, 2019
- Detroit Free Press, "Kamala Harris takes on President Trump in Detroit speech to NAACP," by Kathleen Gray, May 5, 2019
- Washington Post, "It's Time for Congress to Establish the Space Force," by Mike Pence, March 4, 2019
- Project Q Magazine, "Atlanta mayor decries 'dangerous and discriminatory' trans troop ban," by Patrick Saunders, Jan 23, 2019
- The New Yorker, "Why Sally Yates Stood Up to Trump," by Ryan Lizza, 5.29.17
- Lathan & Watkins: Client Alert Commentary, "Enforcement actions prioritize individuals", by Sally Yates, 9/15/2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Support Atlanta business in face of heartbill bill bans.
Stacey Abrams: Voter suppression is rigging the game.
Kamala Harris: Must speak the truth about racism & other forms of hate.
Kamala Harris: Russian election interference exploited racial divide.
Sally Yates: Not fighting racism is ruinous to moral fiber of America.
Sally Yates: Individuals can be held liable for corporate crimes.
Julian Castro: We must do something about "toxic brew of white nationalism".
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Restricts minor marijuana charges from background checks.
Energy & Oil|
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 100% clean energy for Atlanta by 2035.
Amy Klobuchar: Supports EPA agreement on St. Louis River contamination.
Jeanne Shaheen: Bipartisan support for making animal cruelty a federal crime.
Maggie Hassan: Bipartisan support for making animal cruelty a federal crime.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Israel went in wrong direction barring Congressional visit.
Beto O`Rourke: Enforce high standards for labor, environment, human rights.
Kirsten Gillibrand: NAFTA 2.0 is a disaster; trade war harms producers.
Steve Bullock: Farmers want trade, they don't want aid.
Kamala Harris: New voting rights act; make Election Day a holiday.
Tim Ryan: Supports universal background checks.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Machine gun registration is framework for assault weapons.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Senate would pass gun laws if allowed to vote.
Michael Bennet: Background checks work in Colorado, should work nationally.
Julian Castro: The answer to mass shooting is not more guns.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Congress should enact gun safety legislation immediately.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Keep ObamaCare without giving up private health insurance.
Kirsten Gillibrand: White supremacists are domestic terrorists.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Trans military ban dangerous and discriminatory policy.
Sally Yates: Refused to defend 2017 Muslim ban; dismissed as AG.
Steve Bullock: Immigration should not be used to rip country apart.
Kamala Harris: Hold companies liable for hiring non-citizens, not workers.
Joe Sestak: Illegal immigrants should pay fine; get to back of the line.
Joe Sestak: Immigration "of all types" helps our economy.
Joe Sestak: Support economic development to stem tide of refugees.
Sally Yates: Muslim travel ban violates religious freedom.
Principles & Values|
Beto O`Rourke: Deliver on issues but address threat Trump is to democracy.
Beto O`Rourke: Trump espouses racism & division, but problem predates him.
Julian Castro: President should bring people together, not divide.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Don't just go along with what I say; push back.
Kamala Harris: Tax break for people unable to pay unexpected expense.
Mike Pence: Send pioneers to Mars, by any means necessary.
Tim Ryan: Chief manufacturing officer will move US on green technology.
Kamala Harris: We're very vulnerable to cyber threats.
Mike Pence: Adversaries have weaponized space; solution is Space Force.
War & Peace|
Mike Pence: Grateful Trump is always focused on safety of troops.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Amy Klobuchar Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Beto O`Rourke Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Jeanne Shaheen New Hampshire Former Democratic Governor (1997-2000); elected Senator 2008
- Joe Sestak Democratic candidate for President; Navy Admiral
- Julian Castro Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Keisha Lance Bottoms Georgia Atlanta Mayor
- Kirsten Gillibrand New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Maggie Hassan New Hampshire Democratic Governor
- Michael Bennet Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Pence Indiana Republican Vice President
- Sally Yates Attorney General
- Stacey Abrams Georgia Democratic nominee for Georgia Governor
- Steve Bullock Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Tim Ryan Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
The above quotations are from Vice Presidential possibilities for 2020.