Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of 2020 House of Representatives elections
(Click for external website)
2020 House race coverage:
- MN-5: "Ilhan Omar Slams Congress for Failing the Public on Covid Relief," by Jake Johnson, December 17, 2020
- MN-5: National Review, "The Squad Pushes Back after Obama Criticizes 'Defund the Police' Slogan," by Brittany Bernstein, December 2, 2020
- AL-5: PoliticalWire blog, "GOP Lawmaker Will Challenge Electoral Vote," by Taegan Goddard, December 2, 2020
- SC-1: Charleston Post and Courier, "Rep.-elect Nancy Mace hires senior staff members with ties to SC and marijuana lobbying," by Thomas Novelly, Dec 1, 2020
- CO-6 and others: ScienceDebate.org questionnaire, Jason Crow, November 2020
- IL-5 and others: ScienceDebate.org questionnaire, Mike Quigley, October 2020
- MN-7: AARP survey, "Michelle Fischbach and Collin Peterson Answer 5 Questions Vital to Voters 50+", by Andrew Soergel, October 22, 2020
- MI-10: AARP survey, "Kimberly Bizon and Lisa McClain Answer 5 Questions Vital to Voters Age 50+", by Andrew Soergel,, October 21, 2020
- IA-4: KCCI Des Moines, "Election Guide," 10/16/2020
- MI-3 and other races: iVoterGuide on House races, downloaded October 2020
- AL-1: American Family Association "iVoterGuide" on AL-1 House and many other races, downloaded Oct. 2020
- VA-2: Rep. Elaine Luria Press Release on H.R. 2574, "Supports Passage of Equity and Inclusion Enforcement Act," September 16, 2020
- GA-5: CNN, "Georgia state senator Nikema Williams picked to replace Lewis on November ballot," by Alex Rogers, 7/20/2020
- WA-7 & MA-7: Counterpunch.org political e-zine, "The U.S. Struggle for Justice for Palestine Begins a New Chapter," by Mary Miller & Ariel Gold, July 17, 2020
- AL-2: 6WBRC News, "Moore didn't vote in 2016 primary; says he should have voted absentee," by Caroline Beck of Alabama Daily News, 6/23/20
- MN-7: Marshall Independent, "Fischbach: Farmers face too many regulations," by Deb Gau, 6/10/2020
- GA-7: Jewish Insider, "The Outspoken Georgia State Senator Who Isn't Afraid of a Fight," by Matthew Kassel, 6/3/2020
- NH-1: Orlando Sentinel, "EPA's Clean Water Act rollbacks must be stopped," by Jenna Stevens and Rep. Darren Soto, May 07, 2020
- WI-7: Wisconsin Public Radio (NPR), "Republican State Senator Led Push To Deregulate Mining," by Rob Mentzer, 5/7/2020
- NV-3: Las Vegas Sun, "Abortion rights not up for debate," by Emily Brzozowski, April 30, 2020
- HI-2: The Motley Fool e-zine, "Marijuana Industry's Inclusion in Future Coronavirus Relief Packages," by Eric Volkman, Apr 18, 2020
- MN-2: Faribault Daily News (SouthernMinn.com), "Craig proposes new block grant program to help small towns," by Andrew Deziel, Apr 10, 2020
- MN-2: Vanity Fair, "Anger Builds in Congress Over Richard Burr's Coronavirus Stock Trade," by Abigail Tracy, April 2, 2020
- MN-8: Brainerd Dispatch , "Klobuchar, Smith, Stauber laud $4.5M EPA bill to clean up St. Louis River," Apr 1, 2020
- WI-8: Newsmax, "GOP's Cotton, Gallagher: US Must Stop Depending on China's Drugs," by Jeffrey Rodack, 25 March 2020
- IL-6: Chicago Daily Herald, "6th District congressional candidates answer your questions," 3/13/20
- NH-1: WMUR TV-9, "Mowers calls on Pappas to remove sponsorship of 'No Ban Act'," by John DiStaso, Mar 11, 2020
- LA-5: Monroe News Star, "Lance Harris jumps into 5th Congressional District race," by Greg Hilburn, 3/4/2020
- UT-4: Deseret News, "Rep. Ben McAdams talks presidential politics," Feb 28, 2020
- OK-5: The Nation, "Kendra Horn Is Radical... for Oklahoma," by Rebecca Grant, February 18, 2020
- AL-2: WFSA-12 News, "Moore Touts Record in Congressional Run," by Jennifer Horton, 2/12/2020
- IL-6: Northwest Herald, "Sean Casten discusses state of democracy at town hall in Algonquin," by Nabiha Asime, Feb. 9, 2020
- IL-14: Daily Chronicle, "Underwood bill aims to combat domestic terrorism," by Alex Ortiz, Jan. 27, 2020
- TN-2: White House press release, "Support for President Donald J. Trump's Phase One Trade Agreement With China," January 17, 2020
- NH-2 & NH-1: New Hampshire Business Review, "USMCA wins support of NH congressional delegation," by Jeff Feingold, January 16, 2020
- ME-2: Bangor Daily News, "Why Trump's revised NAFTA has been met with skepticism in Maine," by Jessica Piper, January 13, 2020
- SC-4: The State. "SC's Republicans applaud Trump drone strike that killed Iranian general," by Emily Bohatch and Joseph Bustos, Jan. 2, 2020
- LA-1: NYTimes: House press release by Steve Scalise, Jun 5, 2019
Special coverage of "Red Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 1 Democrat hold & 2 Republican holds; and 3 Republican takeovers + 1 SPEL takeover
- FL: 5 new House members, including 2 Republican holds and 3 Republican takeovers
- NY: 5 new House members including 3 Democrat holds & 1 Republican hold; and 1 Republican takeover + 1 SPEL hold
- TX: 7 new House members, all 7 Republican holds.
- All other states: 52 new House members including 10 Republican takeovers and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- 2021 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 117th Congress
Conclusion: the "Red Wave" means Republicans made some gains in Congress when they were expected to lose seats.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Randy Feenstra: Life begins at conception.
Nancy Mace: Very pro-life, no government funds to Planned Parenthood.
Michelle Fischbach: Proudly pro-life and supports pro-life legislation.
Renee Unterman: End tax-payer funded abortions; appeal Roe v Wade.
Nikema Williams: Worked for Planned Parenthood and reproductive rights.
Christy Smith: Will defend women's right to choose.
Tom Tiffany: No taxpayer dollars should fund abortions.
Susie Lee: Co-sponsoring HER Act, to repeal global Gag Rule.
Greg Murphy: Protect the innocent unborn; reduce barriers to adoption.
Dan Bishop: Pro-life; fight extremist Democrats' to stop infanticide.
Steve Scalise: Don't subsidize research on tissue from aborted fetuses.
Budget & Economy|
Lisa McClain: Supports the line item veto.
Yvette Herrell: For balanced budget amendment & line item veto.
Young Kim: Links good jobs to lower taxes & less regulations.
David Valadao: Balancing the budget , cutting debt will help the economy.
Renee Unterman: Wants balanced budget Constitutional amendment.
Pete Stauber: Block grants to invest in small cities and towns.
Lance Harris: Less government is better; cut taxes and waste.
Barry Moore: Government should spend carefully & reduce national debt.
Greg Murphy: Curtail spending; $22T debt mortgages our children's futures.
Byron Donalds: Racism not a threat to domestic security; radical groups are.
Jerry Carl: Gospel is clear that racism has no place in our society.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Don't ban crosses or 10 Commandments from government.
Tracey Mann: Separation doesn't mean taking God out of our schools.
Matt Rosendale: Media portrays racial relations as worse than they are.
Yvette Herrell: Condemns racism, but widely blown out of proportion.
Yvette Herrell: Must follow court ruling, but open to amending Constitution.
Yvette Herrell: Systemic racism in law enforcement a false narrative.
Nikema Williams: No voter suppression, count every vote.
Nancy Mace: Will support John Lewis's legacy.
Chris Pappas: Supported NO BAN act, opposing religious travel restrictions.
Ilhan Omar: The slogan "Defund the Police" is a policy demand.
Michelle Fischbach: Keep Rikers Island open and do not ease bail requirements.
Nancy Mace: Hires former marijuana lobbyist, supports legalization.
Tulsi Gabbard: Relief for marijuana industry, including SBA assistance.
Jake LaTurner: Reduce loans in exchange for service in rural communities.
John Yarmuth: Fund STEM programs and internet access for students.
Mary Miller: No student loan bailout; promote alternatives.
Jason Crow: Supports STEM education funding.
Jim McGovern: Embrace STEM as a life-long learning experience.
John Yarmuth: Critical that evolution, climate change be taught in schools.
Madison Cawthorn: Supports school choice for parents.
Mike Quigley: Support crucial role of STEM education.
Peter Meijer: Pay off college loans for military & those in public service.
Steve Lynch: For STEM training across all educational levels.
Young Kim: Local control for education, not D.C. bureaucrats.
Michelle Fischbach: Supports local control of education, not big bureaucracies.
Ronny Jackson: K-12 education should have local and state control.
Christy Smith: Pay teachers a living wage and decrease student debt.
Kendra Horn: Participated in teacher walkout protesting Oklahoma cuts.
Kendra Horn: Remove student loans from credit histories.
Energy & Oil|
John Yarmuth: Invest in clean, renewable energy to fight climate change.
Jason Crow: Re-enter Paris Agreement on climate change.
Bill Keating: Create good jobs via offshore wind energy development.
Madison Cawthorn: Private sector key to becoming a clean energy exporter.
Mike Quigley: U.S. must rejoin Paris Agreement to combat climate change.
August Pfluger: Secure energy independence with U.S. oil and gas.
Michelle Fischbach: Reduce greenhouse gas and expand renewable energy use.
Nancy Mace: Advocates complete ban on off-shore drilling.
Sean Casten: We must lower our greenhouse gas emissions.
John Yarmuth: Federal government must ensure access to healthy environment.
Madison Cawthorn: Top down federal agricultural regulations do not work.
Mike Quigley: I've been a member of the Sierra Club since I was 16.
Michelle Fischbach: Farmers are best conservationists.
Chris Pappas: Called on EPA to maintain & strengthen Clean Water Act.
Pete Stauber: Supports EPA agreement on St. Louis River contamination.
Families & Children|
Jason Crow: Require childhood vaccinations for public schools.
Dan Bishop: Christian values and our Constitution made America great.
Andrew Clyde: Cut foreign aid to countries not even our allies.
Ayanna Pressley: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Pramilla Jayapal: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Renee Unterman: Yes to US embassy in Jerusalem; no to BDS boycott.
Darrell Issa: Must stop China from dumping goods & manipulating currency.
Randy Feenstra: For trade deals that will lead to new markets for farmers.
Michelle Fischbach: Yes to Trump's US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement.
Ben McAdams: Long overdue to stand up to China's abusive trade practices.
Tim Burchett: Phase One China deal creates fairer trade for America.
Annie Kuster: For USMCA trade deal after labor, environmental additions.
Chris Pappas: For USMCA trade deal after labor, environmental additions.
Jared Golden: Voted against USMCA trade pacts as no benefit to Maine.
Mo Brooks: Will challenge Electoral College; vote stolen by socialists.
Jake LaTurner: Impose term limits on members of Congress.
Randy Feenstra: Government regulation limits opportunity.
David Valadao: Less regulation and lower taxes will create jobs.
Michelle Fischbach: Fight corruption with transparency and election reform.
Barry Moore: If getting to a polling place is difficult, vote absentee.
Tom Tiffany: Cut federal budget wherever possible.
Pete Stauber: Bar members of Congress from owning individual stocks.
Dan Bishop: Require photo ID to vote; supports Constitutional Amendment.
Andrew Clyde: Right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by God our creator.
Jake LaTurner: Second amendment is a foundational right.
Mary Miller: Enforce existing laws rather than enacting new ones.
Tracey Mann: Protect 2nd Amendment rights instead of restricting them.
Lisa McClain: I support the NRA positions on gun ownership.
Yvette Herrell: Do not support any restrictions on law-abiding citizens.
Ronny Jackson: Supports gun ownership and public carry.
Michelle Fischbach: Constitutional and God-given right to own guns.
Barry Moore: No restrictions on AR15's nor high capacity magazines.
Renee Unterman: Strong for 2nd amendment and "stand your ground" laws.
Tom Tiffany: A+ NRA rating, helped pass conceal and carry in WI.
Bill Hightower: Proud to be an A rated NRA legislator.
Greg Murphy: No further burdens to purchase and own firearms.
Dan Bishop: Gun owner; endorsed by the NRA.
Byron Donalds: Obamacare is attempt for government takeover of healthcare.
John Yarmuth: Increase funding for community health centers.
Lance Harris: Decrease enrollment on government-funded healthcare.
Jason Crow: Create Health Force to respond to COVID & future emergencies.
Collin Peterson: I support home-based health care as an option.
Michelle Fischbach: Look at waste; root out fraud and abuse.
Michelle Fischbach: Establish out of pocket cap for senior prescriptions.
Michelle Fischbach: Support home visits covered by tax credits & Medicare.
Lisa McClain: End all Medicare fraud, no to Medicare for All.
Lisa McClain: Prescription drugs: government needs to get out of the way.
Mike Quigley: Defunding public health agencies devastating during COVID.
Steve Lynch: Give undocumented immigrants access to no-cost COVID care.
Young Kim: Government controlled health care will lead to high taxes.
Nancy Mace: Americans should not have to forego health care due to cost.
David Valadao: Market-based competition is best health care solution.
Michelle Fischbach: ACA is socialized medicine; reform within system.
Nancy Mace: Advocates full repeal of ObamaCare.
Christy Smith: Give public option healthcare to those who want it.
Tom Tiffany: Supports competition to lower health care costs.
Bill Hightower: Repeal and replace Obamacare.
Mike Gallagher: Introduced bill to cut off purchase of China-made drugs.
Sean Casten: Lower drug prices.
Lucy McBath: Lower cost for prescription drugs.
Greg Murphy: ObamaCare was one of worst pieces of legislation ever passed.
Jason Crow: Earth observing satellites key to combat climate change.
Peter Meijer: Helped pass veteran education legislation.
Barry Moore: Committed to securing benefits for military families.
Lauren Underwood: Protect rural & suburban areas from domestic terrorism.
Greg Murphy: Keep promises to our veterans.
Greg Murphy: Maintain Constitutionally-mandated strong national defense.
Dan Bishop: Strong national defense is Constitutional & moral mandate.
Jim McGovern: Immigrants should have access to quality health care.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: Must stop radical Islamic terrorist from entering US.
Darrell Issa: Sanctuary cities are illegal and should not be allowed.
Bill Keating: Keep visa programs that enable foreign workers to stay in US.
Steve Lynch: Against bureaucratic delays affecting immigrant STEM workers.
Yvette Herrell: Eliminate birthright citizenship & chain migration.
Randy Feenstra: Fight sanctuary cities and build the wall.
Young Kim: Fix broken system and encourage legal immigration.
August Pfluger: Secure border to keep out illegal immigrants.
David Valadao: Develop path to citizenship and do not separate families.
Michelle Fischbach: Illegals should not vote or have a driver's license.
Nancy Mace: Secure our border to increase national security.
Ronny Jackson: US needs border wall to protect us from illegal immigrants.
Michelle Fischbach: Build border wall; support ICE; no illegals.
Renee Unterman: Build wall to keep illegals and their drugs and violence out.
Christy Smith: Path to citizenship for DREAMers and law-abiding residents.
Tom Tiffany: For border wall and against amnesty.
Bill Hightower: Secure borders with wall to keep people out.
Greg Murphy: Oppose amnesty & enforce the laws already in place.
Dan Bishop: Supports the border wall.
Kathy Manning: Immigration reform and pathways for DREAMers.
Lisa McClain: Reopen economy; increase the stock market.
Yvette Herrell: Worker visas: use to strengthen country, not cheap labor.
Principles & Values|
Barry Moore: Protect religion from government, not other way around.
Jake LaTurner: Don't drive God out of the town square.
Lance Harris: Parents instilled strong Christian faith.
Luke Letlow: Against erasing God from public square, public life.
Tracey Mann: Pro life, pro ag, pro gun, pro Trump.
Matt Rosendale: Promote freedom, Christianity and democratic principles.
Yvette Herrell: It's time we get God back in the conversation.
Yvette Herrell: There is no constitutional separation of church and state.
Yvette Herrell: I am a biblical and constitutional conservative.
Barry Moore: Lives by Faith, Family, Finance and Freedom.
Ben McAdams: Member of the bipartisan Problem Solvers caucus.
Barry Moore: Allow workers tax free options with private accounts.
Byron Donalds: Raise the retirement age for those under 50.
Jake LaTurner: Slowly increase retirement age; means testing for wealthy.
Marjorie Taylor Greene: I would phase out entitlement programs.
Michelle Fischbach: Don't cut current benefits, reform must be bipartisan.
Lisa McClain: Look at all options to ensure for younger generation.
Lisa McClain: Give younger generation investment options.
Matt Rosendale: Modifications may be necessary moving forward.
Yvette Herrell: Raise retirement age, means testing, slow growth of benefits.
Michelle Fischbach: Strengthen Social Security and Medicare.
Sean Casten: People with special needs losing Social Security.
Michelle Fischbach: Reduce taxes and red tape to support jobs and businesses.
Dan Bishop: Lower taxes and smaller government.
Bernie Sanders: Facebook is anti-competitive, should be broken up.
Xochitl Torres Small: Hailed $165 million for rural broadband in New Mexico.
Jim McGovern: Government should not use facial recognition technology.
John Yarmuth: Fund NSF and NIH to fuel economic growth.
Jason Crow: Government must fund science to be ready for the future.
Bill Keating: Facial technology oversight to help combat racial biases.
Jim McGovern: Social media is a wonderful tool, but can also cause harm.
Madison Cawthorn: Improving roads to connect rural residents a top priority.
Mike Quigley: Federal government must ensure funding for labs and research.
Steve Lynch: Conduct robust oversight over social media platforms.
Nancy Mace: Rebuild infrastructure without burdensome regulations.
War & Peace|
Byron Donalds: US must eliminate radical Islamic terrorism.
Jerry Carl: Continually fight the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.
Yvette Herrell: Eliminate radical Islam; maintain support for Israel.
Welfare & Poverty|
Mike Quigley: Government should lead on new agricultural approaches.
The above quotations are from News coverage of 2020 House of Representatives elections.
Special coverage of "Red Wave" states:
CA: 7 new House members including 1 Democrat hold & 2 Republican holds; and 3 Republican takeovers + 1 SPEL takeover
FL: 5 new House members, including 2 Republican holds and 3 Republican takeovers
NY: 5 new House members including 3 Democrat holds & 1 Republican hold; and 1 Republican takeover + 1 SPEL hold
TX: 7 new House members, all 7 Republican holds.
All other states: 52 new House members including 10 Republican takeovers and 3 Democratic takeovers
Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
2021 House incumbents: continuing coverage of the 117th Congress
Conclusion: the "Red Wave" means Republicans made some gains in Congress when they were expected to lose seats.