Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
NPR Morning Edition survey of 2020 candidates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from National Public Radio (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (2) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Bernie Sanders (2) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (4) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Cory Booker (4) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- David Shulkin (1) Republican appointee as DVA Secretary
- Elizabeth Warren (5) Massachusetts Senator
- Harry Reid (5) Democratic Sr Senator (Retiring 2016) Nevada
- Jay Inslee (2) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- John Hickenlooper (1) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Julian Castro (2) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (4) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (4) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Pete Buttigieg (5) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Sharron Angle (5) Republican Senate Challenger Nevada
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
NPR Morning Edition Special Series: "Election 2020: Opening Arguments"
- July 11, 2019: "Buttigieg Proposes Broad Plan To Counter Racial Inequality"
- June 14, 2019: "O`Rourke Calls For A 'Moonshot' To Combat Climate Change"
- May 31, 2019: "Inslee Says Washington State Is A 'Template For Success' For The U.S."
- May 27, 2019: "Former Colorado Governor And 2020 Candidate Urges Distance From 'Socialism'"
- May 24, 2019: "Castro Wants To Redefine Which Immigrants Have 'Merit'"
- May 23, 2019 , "Gillibrand Says If Trump Wants A War With America's Women, 'He Will Lose'"
- March 19, 2019: "Klobuchar Runs On A Record Of Accomplishments--Including With Republicans"
- March 18, 2019: "Sanders Pledges To Do A Better Job Of Explaining Socialism"
- March 15, 2019: "Warren Blasts Big Tech, Advocates Taxing Rich In 2020 Race"
- March 14, 2019: "Sen. Kamala Harris Focuses On Criminal Justice, Inequality"
- March 7, 2019: "Sen. Cory Booker Promises To Bring America Together. But How?"
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Kirsten Gillibrand: Codify Roe v. Wade; repeal Hyde Amendment.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Would look to remove the Hyde Amendment.
Pete Buttigieg: Douglass Plan: tackle racial inequality with funding & laws.
Pete Buttigieg: Racial inequality compounds, which is why it is persistent.
Pete Buttigieg: White America needs to face roots of systemic racism.
Bernie Sanders: Supports reparations, but targeted to distressed communities.
Kamala Harris: Reparations raise a public health issue.
Amy Klobuchar: Update law, but treat tech companies on case by case basis.
Amy Klobuchar: Put burden of proof on competitiveness on companies.
Cory Booker: Don't condemn high tech business; regulate them.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports constitutional ban on death penalty.
Kamala Harris: Not tough nor soft crime: must be smart on crime.
Kamala Harris: No on capital punishment, but justice for murderers.
Cory Booker: Legalize marijuana; restore ex-con voting rights.
Cory Booker: Ended "three strike penalty"; more reform is needed.
Kirsten Gillibrand: College tuition in exchange for public service.
Energy & Oil|
Beto O`Rourke: Invest in fighting climate change as JFK did with "moonshot".
Beto O`Rourke: Climate change a true existential threat.
Jay Inslee: America ready to be inspired to pursue clean energy.
Harry Reid: BP and oil companies need regulation.
Elizabeth Warren: Alliances make us stronger & better able to face China.
Elizabeth Warren: We need to do trading deals differently & help workers.
Elizabeth Warren: We need allies to stand up to China on trade issues.
Pete Buttigieg: Amendments among "most elegant features" of Constitution.
Jay Inslee: Filibuster is preventing climate change legislation.
Sharron Angle: In state legislature, sole No vote called "41 to Angle".
Cory Booker: Reduce Medicare eligibility to 55 from current age of 65.
David Shulkin: The VA is just as good or better than private health care.
Harry Reid: ObamaCare improved healthcare and also improved economy.
Sharron Angle: We're a country of choice; don't force people into insurance.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Public service for young people would change country's heart.
Beto O`Rourke: Treat asylum seekers with respect; repair home countries.
Julian Castro: Don't separate kids and families; don't jail asylum seekers.
Julian Castro: Current "merit" system says only certain people have merit.
Kamala Harris: Due process & right to counsel, for asylum seekers.
Sharron Angle: No, I don't think the unemployed are spoiled.
Principles & Values|
John Hickenlooper: Socialist policies will not appeal to Americans.
Harry Reid: Son of a miner; mother took in wash from brothels.
Sharron Angle: I live in middle-class Reno; Reid lives in DC's Ritz-Carlton.
Harry Reid: What would have happened if Trust Fund were in stock market?
Sharron Angle: Personalize Social Security; not privatize.
Elizabeth Warren: Businesses should recognize how US helped them succeed.
Elizabeth Warren: Amazon benefitted greatly, but put only a little back.
War & Peace|
Beto O`Rourke: Deal with conflicts diplomatically or fight wars for years.
Harry Reid: OpEd: saying Iraq war was lost emboldened our enemies.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bernie Sanders: Sanders supports economic help for blacks, not reparations.
The above quotations are from NPR Morning Edition survey of 2020 candidates.
Debates and Surveys in the 2020 Democratic Primary:
- October Democratic candidates debate in Ohio, (Oct. 15, 2019)
- CNN LGBT Town Hall (Oct. 10, 2019)
- Business Insider Republican candidates debate, (Sept. 24, 2019)
- September Democratic candidates debate in Houston, (Sept. 12, 2019)
- CNN Climate Town Hall (Sept. 4, 2019)
- June Democratic candidates debate in Miami, (June 26-27, 2019)
- July Democratic candidates debate in Detroit (July 30-31, 2019)
- Survey of 2020 Presidential campaign websites
- Politico 2020Dems Presidential survey
- NPR Morning Edition 2020 Presidential survey
- CNN Kfile, investigative reporting on presidential contenders
- Jacobin Magazine, socialist perspectives on presidential contenders
- CNN Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- Fox Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- 2020 Presidential Hopefuls by OnTheIssues.org
Books by 2020 Presidential hopefuls:
- The Truths We Hold, by Kamala Harris (2019)
- Shortest Way Home, by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
- The Mueller Report, investigation and commentary (2019)
- From the Ground Up, by Howard Schultz (2019)
- Where We Go From Here, by Bernie Sanders (2018)
- The Right Answer, by John Delaney (2018)
- An Unlikely Journey, by Julian Castro (2018)
- Healing the Soul of America, by Marianne Williamson (2018)
- Promise Me, Dad, by Joe Biden (2017)
- This Fight Is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
- The Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston (2017)
- United, by Cory Booker (2016)
- The Opposite of Woe, by John Hickenlooper (2016)
- The Senator Next Door, by Amy Klobuchar (2015)
- Off the Sidelines, Kirsten Gillibrand (2014)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Beto O'Rourke (2011)
Page last edited: Sep 08, 2019