Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
ABC News and Univision Democratic candidates debate
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from September Democratic candidates debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (5) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (8) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders (8) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (5) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Cory Booker (6) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Donald Trump (1) Republican Presidential incumbent
- Elizabeth Warren (9) Massachusetts Senator
- Joe Biden (8) Democratic V.P.
- Julian Castro (5) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (7) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Pete Buttigieg (8) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Sept. 12, 2019, debate at Texas Southern University in Houston;
hosted by ABC as "Your Voice, Your Vote," and by Univision with Spanish-language commentary.
Texas Southern University is an "HBCU", a Historically Black College and University, which was a topic in the debate.
This debate was the first one-evening-only debate, with just the top ten contenders. The qualifying rules were:
- Candidates must show 130,000 unique donors (double the 65,000 requirement from the June and July debates)
- Candidates must poll at 2% or above in four polls (also double the 1% requirement from the June and July debates)
- Candidates must accomplish BOTH of the above (EITHER criteria was sufficient for the June and July debates).
- Ten candidates met both criteria for the upcoming debate; three additional candidates met one criterion (and hence are excluded from the debate).
- If eleven or more candidates had qualified, the debate would have been split into two evenings.
- Three candidates withdrew from the race after failing to qualify for this debate:
- Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-CO) withdrew from the Democratic presidential primary on Aug. 15, then announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate.
- Gov. Jay Inslee (D-WA) withdrew from the Democratic presidential primary on Aug. 21, then announced his candidacy for re-election as Governor.
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) withdrew from the Democratic presidential primary on Aug. 28, citing failing to qualify for the debate as "fatal to her candidacy."
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Beto O`Rourke: Racism is endemic and foundational in America, since 1619.
Cory Booker: Question isn't "who's a racist?", but "what to do about it?".
Pete Buttigieg: We need a systemic approach to replace racist system.
Amy Klobuchar: I support racial justice: make prosecutors accountable.
Amy Klobuchar: Reduce sentences for nonviolent offenders.
Cory Booker: Clemency to 17,000 people who are jailed for outdated crimes.
Julian Castro: Police reform plan, to root out white supremacy.
Kamala Harris: I've always wanted to protect people and keep them safe.
Cory Booker: Release 17,000 who are unjustly incarcerated for drug use.
Joe Biden: Addicts should go to rehab & expunge records, not prison.
Kamala Harris: Opposed marijuana legalization, but currents have changed.
Andrew Yang: I am pro-good-school; pay teachers more; use tests less.
Bernie Sanders: Make HBCUs debt-free, and cancel all student debt.
Kamala Harris: $2T for HBCUs; they produce so many of our teachers.
Kamala Harris: We turned brown skies to blue by taking on oil companies.
Families & Children|
Andrew Yang: Enable families to solve problems with income subsidies.
Elizabeth Warren: Universal childcare for every baby aged 0 to 5.
Bernie Sanders: Venezuela's Madura is a vicious tyrant.
Elizabeth Warren: Restore help to Central America, to reduce border crisis.
Julian Castro: I call Madura a dictator; allow TPS for Venezuelans.
Julian Castro: Pressure China on human rights for Uighurs.
Amy Klobuchar: Trump tariffs have already cost us 300,000 jobs.
Andrew Yang: Tariffs pummel our farmers; but we need a deal with China.
Donald Trump: China's President Xi is both an enemy and a friend.
Elizabeth Warren: Giant corporations set our trade policy; add in activists.
Elizabeth Warren: Everybody wants access to American market; so leverage China.
Joe Biden: Either we make up trade policy, or China will.
Julian Castro: Erratic, haphazard trade wars hurt American families.
Kamala Harris: Export American products, not American jobs.
Pete Buttigieg: Trump tariffs come down on us, without any bigger strategy.
Andrew Yang: Wash out corrupt lobbyist money with people-powered money.
Bernie Sanders: Power to the people, not the billionaires.
Joe Biden: Immediate focus on health care, education, climate change.
Amy Klobuchar: Make sure that domestic abusers don't get AK47s.
Beto O`Rourke: Ok to confiscate guns that are designed for battlefields.
Beto O`Rourke: Death in El Paso due to a gun that should not be legal.
Cory Booker: More people die from gun violence than from wars.
Elizabeth Warren: People support gun control but Congress is corrupt.
Kamala Harris: Trump didn't pull trigger, but he tweeted out the ammunition.
Amy Klobuchar: Do not eliminate employer insurance plans.
Andrew Yang: Docs should focus on results, not procedure numbers.
Bernie Sanders: No deductibles or co-payments; $200 a year for prescriptions.
Beto O`Rourke: People can choose Medicare or not.
Cory Booker: We cannot sacrifice progress for purity.
Elizabeth Warren: My plan builds on Obamacare; adding $740B for public option.
Elizabeth Warren: Medicare-for-All means rich pay more, middle class less.
Joe Biden: My plan builds on Obamacare; adding $740B for public option.
Pete Buttigieg: Trust people to know what health plan is best for them.
Bernie Sanders: We spend $750B on military & don't know who our enemy is.
Pete Buttigieg: Put an end to endless war; require 3-year sunset for wars.
Andrew Yang: America has been magnet for human capital for generations.
Andrew Yang: Compete for talent from abroad, but not a merit system.
Beto O`Rourke: Legalize DREAMers and their families.
Elizabeth Warren: Expand legal immigration, including for visa overstays.
Joe Biden: Yes, we did deportations, but we also did DACA & asylum.
Pete Buttigieg: Rural residents know immigrants help revitalize small towns.
Pete Buttigieg: Values of faith and welcome should be cultivated.
Principles & Values|
Bernie Sanders: Democratic socialism means like Canada, not Venezuela.
Joe Biden: Deal with loss by finding purpose in what you do.
Julian Castro: Bold, new vision to lift up Americans.
Kamala Harris: Commonalities unite us more than racism divides us.
Pete Buttigieg: Unity and bold ideas will solve our challenges.
War & Peace|
Andrew Yang: We've been in continuous armed conflict for 18 years.
Bernie Sanders: I never made the huge mistake of voting for Iraq AUMF.
Elizabeth Warren: No one can describe what winning looks like in Afghanistan.
Joe Biden: Can't put Afghanistan together: it's 3 different countries.
Joe Biden: I shouldn't have voted for Bush's AUMF; he did it wrong way.
Pete Buttigieg: No open-ended commitment to ground troops in Afghanistan.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bernie Sanders: U.S. is wealthy, but have highest child poverty rate.
The above quotations are from ABC News and Univision Democratic candidates debate.
Debates and Surveys in the 2020 Democratic Primary:
- September Democratic candidates debate in Houston, (Sept. 12, 2019)
- June Democratic candidates debate in Miami, (June 26-27, 2019)
- July Democratic candidates debate in Detroit (Coming July 30-31, 2019)
- September ABC News and Univision Democratic candidates debate, (Coming September 2019)
- October Democratic candidates debate, (Coming October 2019)
- Survey of 2020 Presidential campaign websites
- Politico 2020Dems Presidential survey
- NPR Morning Edition 2020 Presidential survey
- CNN Kfile, investigative reporting on presidential contenders
- Jacobin Magazine, socialist perspectives on presidential contenders
- CNN Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- Fox Town Halls, with presidential contenders
- 2020 Presidential Hopefuls by OnTheIssues.org
Books by 2020 Presidential hopefuls:
- The Truths We Hold, by Kamala Harris (2019)
- Shortest Way Home, by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
- The Mueller Report, investigation and commentary (2019)
- From the Ground Up, by Howard Schultz (2019)
- Where We Go From Here, by Bernie Sanders (2018)
- The Right Answer, by John Delaney (2018)
- An Unlikely Journey, by Julian Castro (2018)
- Healing the Soul of America, by Marianne Williamson (2018)
- Promise Me, Dad, by Joe Biden (2017)
- This Fight Is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
- The Making of Donald Trump by David Cay Johnston (2017)
- United, by Cory Booker (2016)
- The Opposite of Woe, by John Hickenlooper (2016)
- The Senator Next Door, by Amy Klobuchar (2015)
- Off the Sidelines, Kirsten Gillibrand (2014)
- Dealing Death and Drugs, by Beto O'Rourke (2011)
Page last edited: Sep 16, 2019