Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
VoteSmart synopsis of 2017-2018 legislative records
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from VoteSmart 2017-2018 legislative records (number of quotes indicated):
- Andy Biggs (1) Republican U.S. Rep Arizona- 5
- Bob Flanders (4) Republican Challenger Rhode Island
- Bob Krist (1) Nebraska Democratic Candidate for governor of Nebraska
- Bob McDermott (1) Hawaii Republican candidate for governor
- Corey Stewart (2) Republican candidate for Virginia U.S. Senator Virginia
- David Baria (2) Democratic candidate for Mississippi U. S. Senator Mississippi
- David Garcia (1) Arizona Democratic candidate for Governor
- Eddie Pirkowski (2) Republican candidate for Hawaii U.S. Senator Hawaii
- Janet Mills (1) Maine Democratic candidate for Maine Governor
- Jennifer Ferguson (7) Democratic candidate for Washington U.S. Senator Washington
- Jim Christiana (1) Republican candidate for Pennsylvania U. S. Senator Pennsylvania
- Jo Rae Perkins (11)
- Matthew Corey (2) Republican Candidate for Connecticut U.S. Senator Connecticut
- Patricia Morgan (3) Rhode Island Republican candidate for Rhode Island Governor
- Ray Lesniak (3) New Jersey Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Rick Saccone (1) Republican Senate challenger (withdrew) Pennsylvania
- Ron Curtis (4) Republican Senate candidate Hawaii
- Scott Inman (1) Oklahoma Democratic candidate for Governor
- Scott Wagner (1) Pennsylvania Republican
- Tom O`Halleran (1) Democrat U.S. Rep Arizona- 1
- Tony Campbell (3) Republican candidate for Maryland U. S. Senator Maryland
- Travis Allen (2) California Republican candidate for California Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
- Project Vote-Smart surveys state legislative records and summarizes bill sponsorships and votes.
- OnTheIssues does the same thing from federal legislative records, by reading the Congressional Record (available through the Library of Congress online.)
- OnTheIssues sometimes reads state legislative records (for the few states that post their House and Senate journals online) and sometimes relies on VoteSmart (who use the more readily-available printed version).
- In both cases, the summaries are intended to be non-biased politically: a description of the bill, rather than an analysis of its effect.
- OnTheIssues also adds Pro and Con opinions on federal legislation, from proponents and opponents of each bill in the legislature or in private organizations.
- Generally, Pro and Con opinions are not available for most state legislation, so VoteSmart sticks to just summaries.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bob Flanders: Pro-life.
Jo Rae Perkins: Life begins at conception.
David Baria: Pro-choice.
Jennifer Ferguson: No one has the right to tell women what to do with body.
Janet Mills: Rated 100% by Planned Parenthood on reproductive rights.
Jim Christiana: Rated 0% by Planned Parenthood on reproductive rights.
Ron Curtis: Pro-life, but government should not decide.
Ray Lesniak: Won landmark case for abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Jo Rae Perkins: Stop spending tax dollars on pork project earmarks.
Andy Biggs: Rated below average by gay rights groups.
David Garcia: Rated above average by gay rights groups.
Tom O`Halleran: Rated above average by gay rights groups.
Travis Allen: Rated below average by gay rights groups.
Travis Allen: Rated above average by minority civil rights groups.
Jo Rae Perkins: Don't legalize marijuana federally; leave it to the states.
Jennifer Ferguson: Supports legalization of recreational marijuana.
Bob Krist: Rated above average by Marijuana Policy Project.
Patricia Morgan: Rated below average by Marijuana Policy Project.
Rick Saccone: Rated below average by Marijuana Policy Project.
Ron Curtis: Keeping drugs illegal means crime, money, and addiction.
Scott Wagner: Rated above average by Marijuana Policy Project.
Bob Flanders: States define education standards and feds support.
Jo Rae Perkins: Education is best dealt with at the local level.
Jennifer Ferguson: Every zip code does not obtain an equal education.
Energy & Oil|
Jo Rae Perkins: Trees need CO2; I prefer a warmer earth.
Corey Stewart: No greenhouse gas regulation; no renewables support.
David Baria: Develop renewables; regulate greenhouse gases.
Eddie Pirkowski: Explore oil shale, solar, wind, safe nuclear, cheap hydrogen.
Jennifer Ferguson: We must move from oil and fossil fuels.
Tony Campbell: Regulate greenhouse gas, but don't fund renewables.
Bob McDermott: Rated below average by Sierra Club.
Patricia Morgan: Rated below average by Environmental Council of RI.
Patricia Morgan: Rated below average by Sierra Club & enviro groups.
Scott Inman: Rated above average by Sierra Club.
Bob Flanders: Require disclosure for contributions to super PACs.
Jo Rae Perkins: Only people who can vote for candidate can donate.
Corey Stewart: Don't regulate corporate & union campaign contributions.
Tony Campbell: Regulate campaign contributions from corporations and unions.
Ron Curtis: Regulate campaign contributions from corporations and unions.
Jo Rae Perkins: Disarming people keeps them from self-protection.
Jennifer Ferguson: Sensible gun control laws: background checks; above age 21.
Jo Rae Perkins: ObamaCare alternative so medical insurance won't skyrocket.
Jennifer Ferguson: Replace ObamaCare with government Single Payer System.
Tony Campbell: Repeal ObamaCare; reform VA hospitals.
Jo Rae Perkins: Make sure our military is fully funded.
Jo Rae Perkins: Construct wall along the Mexican border.
Eddie Pirkowski: No wall; no deportation.
Matthew Corey: Build border wall; deport those illegally present.
Ray Lesniak: No in-state tuition for unlawful immigrants.
Ray Lesniak: Lower taxes to promote economic growth.
War & Peace|
Bob Flanders: Intervene militarily if vital interest at stake, like nukes.
Jo Rae Perkins: Military force against nuclear proliferation and for Israel.
Jennifer Ferguson: Keep a system for counter attack, not aggression.
Matthew Corey: Increase American intervention in Middle Eastern conflicts.
Ron Curtis: Surgical strikes to prevent hostile possession of nukes.
The above quotations are from VoteSmart synopsis of 2017-2018 legislative records.
- 2020 Political Courage Test: House and Senate
- 2018 State legislation: House, Senate, and Governor
- 2016 State legislation: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and State
- 2013-2014 Political Courage Test: Gubernatorial & Senate, plus legislative records
- 2011-12 State legislation: House and Senate plus legislative records
- 2009-10 Political Courage Tests: Senatorial, Gubernatorial, and State legislation
- 2008 Political Courage Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2006 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2004 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential, Gubernatorial, and Senatorial
- 2002 Political Awareness Tests: Gubernatorial and Senatorial
- 2000 Political Awareness Tests: Presidential and Congress
- 1996-1998 Political Awareness Tests: House, Senate, and State
- Collections of Voter Guides:
- American Family Association iVoterGuides:
- Science Debate Voter Guides:
- CampusElect.org Voter Guides:
- AARP voter guides:
- Vote-USA.org voter guides:
- Miscellaneous voter guides: