Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Maryland Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MD Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Alec Ross (6) Maryland Democratic candidate for Governor
- Arvin Vohra (1) Libertarian candidate for Maryland U. S. Senator Maryland
- Ben Jealous (16) Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
- Ian Schlakman (20) Maryland Green Party candidate for governor of Maryland
- Larry Hogan (7) Maryland Republican Maryland Governor
- Martin O`Malley (1) Maryland Democratic Presidential candidate
- Maya Cummings (1) Maryland Democratic candidate for Maryland governor
- Richard Madaleno (31) Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
- Shawn Quinn (20) Maryland Libertarian candidate for governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Maryland 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- NPR Fact-Check, "N.M. Governor Pulls National Guard From Border, Citing A 'Charade', " February 6, 2019
- Washington Post, "Hogan tells Great Mills students he would reject an NRA endorsement," by Ovetta Wiggins, July 19, 2018
- Baltimore CBS Local, "2018 Maryland Primary Candidate Ben Jealous," June 13, 2018
- Washington Post, "Ben Jealous: Sanders-style Democrat gains traction in Clinton-loving Md.," by Ovetta Wiggins, June 6, 2018
- Washington Post, "Emily's List endorses Rockeymoore Cummings for governor," by Ovetta Wiggins, October 30 2017
- The Diamondback, "Alec Ross visits UMD to help register students to vote," by Naomi Grant, Sept. 27, 2017
- Washington Post, "Candidate shares son's health story, slams Congress," by Josh Hicks, July 26, 2017
- WBAL-TV, "Gubernatorial candidates say state could do more to help Baltimore," by Jayne Miller, June 20, 2017
- The Diamondback (University of Maryland), "Lawmakers are fighting to legalize recreational marijuana," by Lexie Schapitl, March 2, 2017
- Capital Gazette, "Maryland Democrats introduce gun safety legislation," by Rachel Bluth, Feb. 10, 2016
- WBAL News Radio 1090 AM, "Hogan Wants Immigrant Children Returned Home," July 29, 2014
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Ian Schlakman: Abortion is a woman's unrestricted right.
Richard Madaleno: 100% rating from NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland.
Shawn Quinn: Oppose late term abortions; support others.
Maya Cummings: Emily's List endorsement.
Richard Madaleno: Supported Planned Parenthood when Feds tried to cut.
Budget & Economy|
Ian Schlakman: Stimulus better than market-led recovery.
Ben Jealous: Rebuild economy that doesn't leave anyone behind.
Richard Madaleno: Tax credits to companies offering 50% over minimum wage.
Shawn Quinn: Market-led recovery better than stimulus.
Ben Jealous: Experience as Civil Rights leader will move state forward.
Richard Madaleno: Equality for gender identity; end same-sex discrimination.
Shawn Quinn: Strongly supports same-sex marriage.
Richard Madaleno: Committed to fighting for marriage equality & LGBTQ rights.
Richard Madaleno: Support smaller businesses as job creators.
Ian Schlakman: Stricter punishment doesn't reduce crime.
Ben Jealous: Smart-on-crime policies that create a just system for all.
Richard Madaleno: Require data collection on race-based traffic stops.
Shawn Quinn: Stricter punishment doesn't reduce crime.
Alec Ross: Education key to addressing crime.
Ian Schlakman: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Ben Jealous: Recognizes the suffering caused from the opioid epidemic.
Richard Madaleno: Allow petitioning for expunging marijuana arrest record.
Shawn Quinn: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Richard Madaleno: Opioid epidemic is health issue, not criminal one.
Alec Ross: Let's see response to medical marijuana.
Richard Madaleno: Co-sponsored marijuana legalization bill.
Larry Hogan: New tools to pursue criminal organizations in drug trade.
Ian Schlakman: Opposes vouchers for school choice.
Ben Jealous: Raise school spending with gambling revenue & legalized pot.
Richard Madaleno: Free community college tuition.
Shawn Quinn: Vouchers for public and private school choice.
Richard Madaleno: Public schools are the key to our future.
Alec Ross: One Economy: Internet & content to low-income schools.
Energy & Oil|
Ian Schlakman: Prioritize green energy.
Ben Jealous: Will set deadline to change to 100% clean, renewable energy.
Richard Madaleno: Supports Paris Climate Agreement & regulating greenhouse gas.
Shawn Quinn: Oppose prioritizing green energy.
Richard Madaleno: Maryland should lead way on renewable energy.
Ian Schlakman: Supports EPA regulation.
Ben Jealous: Protecting environment will give back economic opportunities.
Richard Madaleno: Increase funding for Chesapeake Bay Trust.
Shawn Quinn: Fight EPA regulatory over-reach.
Alec Ross: Ready to confront major polluters.
Families & Children|
Ian Schlakman: Comfortable with same-sex marriage.
Richard Madaleno: Stricter regulations on BPA, concussions, & child seats.
Arvin Vohra: Marriage isn't magic but skills can be learned.
Ian Schlakman: Oppose American Exceptionalism.
Richard Madaleno: No state contracts if connected to Iran.
Shawn Quinn: No opinion on American Exceptionalism.
Ian Schlakman: Don't expand free trade.
Richard Madaleno: Preference for American-made goods in state procurement.
Shawn Quinn: Support & expand free trade.
Ian Schlakman: Make voter registration easier.
Richard Madaleno: Same-day voter registration & automatic registration at MVA.
Shawn Quinn: Make voter registration easier.
Larry Hogan: Vetoed restoring voting rights to 40,000 ex-offenders.
Larry Hogan: Undo restored voting rights to ex-felons.
Ian Schlakman: No absolute right to gun ownership.
Larry Hogan: Ban bump stocks and other rapid-trigger devices.
Larry Hogan: Increase age of unsupervised access from 16 to 18.
Richard Madaleno: Ban assault weapons; ban bump stocks.
Shawn Quinn: Absolute right to gun ownership.
Ben Jealous: Wants governor to join multi-state coalition on gun control.
Richard Madaleno: Sponsored ban on guns on campus.
Ian Schlakman: Supports National Improved Medicare for All.
Ben Jealous: Medicare-for-all is the answer to make healthcare affordable.
Richard Madaleno: Prohibit price gouging for generic drugs.
Shawn Quinn: Oppose ObamaCare.
Richard Madaleno: Single-payer would be ideal outcome.
Alec Ross: Favors public option over single payer.
Ian Schlakman: Don't expand the military.
Ben Jealous: Advocate for veterans; honor the Buffalo Soldiers.
Shawn Quinn: Neutral on expanding the military.
Larry Hogan: Reject Trump policy of separating families at the border.
Ian Schlakman: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Ben Jealous: For society to be healthy all members need to be embraced.
Richard Madaleno: Allow Syrian refugees into US and Maryland.
Shawn Quinn: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Larry Hogan: Feed & clothe illegal immigrant kids; then deport them.
Martin O`Malley: Feed & clothe illegal immigrant kids; then find foster homes.
Ian Schlakman: Legally require hiring more women/minorities.
Ben Jealous: Knows firsthand the benefits of working union jobs.
Ben Jealous: Fight to raise minimum wage to $15/hr.
Richard Madaleno: Require state contractors to support apprenticeships.
Shawn Quinn: Oppose affirmative action but no discriminatory hiring.
Richard Madaleno: Raise minimum wage to $15 to boost economy.
Richard Madaleno: Fund regional transit authorities & the cancelled Red Line.
Principles & Values|
Ian Schlakman: Opposes keeping God in the public sphere.
Ben Jealous: Background rooted in civil rights and social justice.
Richard Madaleno: Social justice for all people.
Shawn Quinn: Opposes God in the public sphere.
Ian Schlakman: Don't privatize Social Security.
Shawn Quinn: Neutral on privatizing Social Security.
Ian Schlakman: Higher taxes on the wealthy.
Ben Jealous: Tax the top 1% earners by 1% to pay for free college.
Richard Madaleno: Raise estate tax at state level since feds won't.
Shawn Quinn: Oppose higher taxes on the wealthy.
Ben Jealous: Make investment in infrastructure a must-have priority.
Richard Madaleno: Investment for all transportation, not partisan slush fund.
Alec Ross: Obama/Clinton advisor on internet freedom & technology.
War & Peace|
Ian Schlakman: Avoid foreign entanglements.
Shawn Quinn: Avoid foreign entanglements.
Welfare & Poverty|
Richard Madaleno: Supports affordable housing & community development projects.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Alec Ross Maryland Democratic candidate for Governor
- Arvin Vohra Libertarian candidate for Maryland U. S. Senator Maryland
- Ben Jealous Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
- Ian Schlakman Maryland Green Party candidate for governor of Maryland
- Larry Hogan Maryland Republican Maryland Governor
- Martin O`Malley Maryland Democratic Presidential candidate
- Maya Cummings Maryland Democratic candidate for Maryland governor
- Richard Madaleno Maryland Democratic candidate for governor of Maryland
- Shawn Quinn Maryland Libertarian candidate for governor
The above quotations are from 2018 Maryland Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)