Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in California
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 House CA elections (number of quotes indicated):
- Adam Schiff (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-28
- Barbara Lee (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-13
- Dana Rohrabacher (5) Republican U.S. Rep California-48
- Duncan Hunter (1) Republican
- Gil Cisneros (15) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 39
- Harley Rouda (19) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 48
- Jackie Speier (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-14
- Jared Huffman (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-2
- Josh Harder (5) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 10
- Katie Hill (2) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 25
- Katie Porter (4) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 45
- Ro Khanna (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California- 17
- Young Kim (14) Republican U.S. Rep California- 39
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2018 California House race news coverage:
- CA-25: Playboy magazine, "A Very Millennial Scandal," by Anita Little, Dec 17, 2019
- CA-13: The Nation, "How Black Lives Matter to the Green New Deal," by Aaron Ross Coleman, March 14, 2019
- CA-14: NBC News, "New Pentagon transgender rule sets limits for troops," March 13, 2019
- CA-50: Politico.com, "Trio of Republicans face life in exile," by Melanie Zanona, 02/04/2019
- CA-17: Vox.com, "5 anti-poverty plans from 2020 Democratic presidential contenders, explained," by Dylan Matthews, Jan 30, 2019
- CA-48: Los Angeles Times, "Rohrabacher and Rouda say their piece in advance of election day", 10/29/2018
- CA-39: Los Angeles Times, "39th District: Young vs. Cisneros," by Maya Sweedler, 10.25.2018
- CA-2 & CA-48: Voice of Orange County, "Rouda: Offshore Drilling, Wrong for the Environment. Wrong for the Economy," 10/24/2018
- CA-10: The Modesto Bee, "Denham, Harder address array of issues in first face-to-face meeting", by Garth Stapley, 9/20/2018
- CA-10: Water Deeply News, "Water and Immigration are Key Issues", by Carl Segerstrom, 7/24/2018
Special coverage of "Blue Wave" states:
- CA: 7 new House members including 6 Democrats and 5 Democratic takeovers
- FL: 5 new House members including 2 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MI: 5 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- MN: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers (and 1 Republican takeover!)
- NJ: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- NY: 4 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- PA: 7 new House members including 4 Democrats and 4 Democratic takeovers (with statewide redistricting)
- TX: 10 new House members including 4 Democrats and 2 Democratic takeovers
- VA: 5 new House members including 3 Democrats and 3 Democratic takeovers
- Endorsements: Organizational endorsements of new House members, from groups that focus on one issue
- All other states: 51 new House members including 17 Democratic takeovers
Conclusion: the "Blue Wave" means Democrats took over Congress but the rest is media hype.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Gil Cisneros: Trust women to make their own reproductive decisions.
Harley Rouda: Don't tell a woman what to do with her body.
Young Kim: Voted against women's right to reproductive decisions.
Gil Cisneros: Committed to important fight for LGBT equality.
Harley Rouda: Too many LGBTQ Americans lack basic legal protections.
Young Kim: Opposes gay marriage.
Dana Rohrabacher: Legalize marijuana.
Gil Cisneros: Legalize recreational marijuana; expunge criminal records.
Harley Rouda: Legalize marijuana.
Young Kim: Don't legalize recreational marijuana.
Gil Cisneros: Don't divert funds from public schools to vouchers.
Gil Cisneros: Yes on interest-free college loans & free community college.
Harley Rouda: Allow college students to refinance loans at lower rates.
Young Kim: Vouchers instead of top-down, one-size-fits-all policies.
Young Kim: Supports student loan forgiveness for college debt.
Josh Harder: Make college and technical training programs accessible.
Energy & Oil|
Harley Rouda: Prohibit new leases for non-renewables and offshore drilling.
Jared Huffman: Keep it in the Ground Act: ban new coal, gas, & oil drilling.
Dana Rohrabacher: Global warming theory means global government.
Gil Cisneros: Combat climate change before it's too late.
Harley Rouda: Prioritize green energy over fossil fuels of the past.
Young Kim: Humans contribute to climate change, but no spending on it.
Young Kim: Opposed renewable energy production targets.
Barbara Lee: Environment relates to racial & economic justice.
Harley Rouda: Protecting planet & economic growth can be jointly achieved.
Katie Porter: Let California decide about water needs, but Feds pay for it.
Josh Harder: Build more water storage and inland desalination plants.
Families & Children|
Katie Hill: Openly bisexual; first LGBTQ congresswoman from California.
Dana Rohrabacher: No funds for Planned Parenthood for any purpose.
Adam Schiff: Khashoggi killing is relationship-altering event with Saudis.
Josh Harder: Trade war causes job loss and economic hardship.
Gil Cisneros: More financial disclosure for political spending.
Gil Cisneros: Yes to automatic voter registration & same-day registration.
Harley Rouda: Reverse Citizens United; limit corporate political donations.
Harley Rouda: Fair elections without barriers to vote.
Young Kim: Didn't sponsor CA Proposition 59 to overturn Citizens United.
Young Kim: Opposes automatic voter registration & student enrollment.
Gil Cisneros: Support background checks and assault weapon ban.
Harley Rouda: Mandatory background checks; ban assault rifles.
Young Kim: No background checks; don't expand assault weapon ban.
Gil Cisneros: US is too rich to struggle without affordable health care.
Harley Rouda: Basic healthcare is fundamental right in developed countries.
Young Kim: ObamaCare gave us nothing but broken promises.
Harley Rouda: Medicare-for-All reduces spending 18.5% of GDP on health.
Josh Harder: Universal healthcare & Medicare-for-All.
Katie Porter: Fight for a Medicare-for-All system.
Gil Cisneros: Transgender troops have the right to serve in the military.
Jackie Speier: Allow transgender troops to enlist in military.
Gil Cisneros: Supports pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients.
Harley Rouda: Comprehensive immigration reform with pathway to citizenship.
Young Kim: Supports pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients.
Josh Harder: Protect DREAMers and provide a pathway to citizenship.
Katie Porter: Fair path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
Gil Cisneros: Increase minimum wage; ensure a living wage.
Young Kim: Don't raise California minimum wage.
Principles & Values|
Katie Hill: Resigns over consensual polyamourous affair.
Duncan Hunter: Stripped of committee posts while under indictment.
Dana Rohrabacher: Trump campaign did not collude with the Russians.
Harley Rouda: Bipartisanship is common sense for common ground.
Harley Rouda: Social Security is vitally important to seniors' well-being.
Gil Cisneros: 2017 tax bill helped billionaires, not average homeowners.
Gil Cisneros: Stop tax handouts to big corporations & special interests.
Harley Rouda: Trump tax cuts help wealthy families, not working families.
Young Kim: Signed pledge to not raise taxes.
Dana Rohrabacher: Prohibit FCC from regulating rates for broadband internet.
Harley Rouda: Supports rebuilding infrastructure.
Harley Rouda: Strong net neutrality supporter.
Katie Porter: Pay for infrastructure by direct and indirect beneficiaries.
War & Peace|
Harley Rouda: Keep nuclear treaty with Iran.
Welfare & Poverty|
Ro Khanna: GAIN Act: $111 billion a year for people in poverty.
The above quotations are from News coverage of `Blue Wave` 2018 House races in California.