Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Florida Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 FL Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Adam Putnam (16) Florida Republican candidate for Florida Governor
- Andrew Gillum (68) Florida Democratic candidate for governor of Florida
- Gwen Graham (1) Florida Democratic candidate for Governor
- Philip Levine (18) Florida Democratic candidate for governor of Florida
- Rick Scott (1) Florida Republican Governor
- Ron DeSantis (20) Florida Republican candidate for governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Florida 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Politico.com, "Republicans rage as Florida becomes a nightmare for Trump," by Gary Fineout and Marc Caputo, 04/03/2020
- CNN.com, "FL governor makes it more difficult for ex-felons to vote, by Veronica Stracqualursi, May 8, 2019
- Politico.com, "Gillum to launch Florida voter-registration campaign to trip up Trump," by Gary Fineout, 03/20/2019
- CampusElect.org 2018 Florida Governor Guide (DeSantis & Gillum), 11/1/2018
- CNN, "Candidate says Medicare for all requires corporate tax increase," by Maegan Vazquez, Sep.2, 2018
- Orlando Sentinel, "Florida governor's race: Where DeSantis & Gillum stand," by Gray Rohrer, 8/31/18
- Tampa Bay Times, "Who is Philip Levine?", by Steve Contorno, Aug 22, 2018
- Miami Herald, "A voters' guide to the candidates running for Florida governor," by Langston Taylor, Aug. 12, 2018
- Tampa Bay Times, "2018 Florida voter guide," by Langston Taylor, Jul. 26, 2018
- WLM, "Education, Housing, Women's Rights Among Audience Questions," by Lily Oppenheimer, June 12, 2018
- The Metro, "Florida governor signs gun-safety bill after school shooting," by Jonathan Allen, March 09, 2018
- WCTV, "Gillum meets with faith leaders over lunch," by Mariel Carbone, Aug 30, 2017
- Florida Politics, "Putnam urges education focus on today's jobs," by Scott Powers, Aug. 23, 2017
- Palm Beach Post, "Putnam pitches land deals to protect state's military bases," by Jim Turner, Aug. 8, 2017
- Tallahassee Democrat op-ed, "When will we ask, 'How are the children?'," by Andrew Gillum, July 29, 2017
- Florida Politics op-ed, "Andrew Gillum: Florida must take reins," July 27, 2017
- Politico.com, "Gillum fends off questions about use of city email," by Matt Dixon, 5/31/2017
- Politico.com, "Train wreck education bill," by Marc Caputo and Jessica Bakeman, 5/24/2017
- Florida Today, "Tallahassee mayor: Florida governor candidate," 4/18/2017
- The Florida Squeeze, "Prevent the Californication of Florida," by Kartik Krishnaiyer, 4/16/2017
- Tampa Bay Times, "Gwen Graham will have some explaining to do," by Adam C. Smith, April 4, 2017
- Tallahassee Democrat, "Gillum running for governor in 2018," by Jeff Burlew, Feb. 28, 2017
- Sunshine State News, "A New Twist on Abortion Debate," by Jim Saunders and Jim Turner, 2/9/17
- Orlando Sentinel, "Op-ed by Adam Putnam," 1/4/17
- FloridaPolitics.com, "Energy independence and transportation," by A.G. Gancarski, Dec. 15, 2016
- Sunshine State News, "Trump poses conundrum," 4/2/16
- WJXT-Channel 4, News4jax.com, "Offensive to American values," 12/8/15
- FLchamber.com, "Agriculture commissioner Putnam", 10/1/2014
- Miami Herald, "Gov. Rick Scott signs 94 bills into law," by Michael Van Sickler, 6/13/14
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Andrew Gillum: Decision should be made by women & their doctors.
Ron DeSantis: Ban abortions after fetal heartbeat detected.
Andrew Gillum: Defunding Planned Parenthood jeopardizes women's health.
Philip Levine: Women have the right to be pro-choice, government keep out.
Budget & Economy|
Philip Levine: An economy that works for all Floridians.
Andrew Gillum: Stimulus better than market-led recovery.
Adam Putnam: Don't make Florida into California & their debt.
Ron DeSantis: Backs bill impeding voting by ex-felons.
Philip Levine: History of being a fierce champion for LGBTQ rights.
Andrew Gillum: Oppose discrimination based on gender identity.
Andrew Gillum: Supports same-sex marriage.
Andrew Gillum: Staunch supporter of LGBT rights.
Andrew Gillum: Take down Confederate monuments.
Andrew Gillum: Trump tax cuts gave billions to our richest corporations.
Philip Levine: Stop special interest tax breaks in Tallahassee.
Andrew Gillum: Raise corporate taxes from 5.5% to 7.75%.
Andrew Gillum: 90% of businesses pay no corporate income tax, & too little.
Adam Putnam: Cut regulations & taxes for farms & businesses.
Andrew Gillum: Corporate tax cuts can create jobs, support training.
Philip Levine: Top-down & bottom-up audit of the Department of Corrections.
Ron DeSantis: Don't restore voting rights to former felons.
Andrew Gillum: Stricter punishment doesn't reduce crime.
Andrew Gillum: Ban the box: re-entry of returning citizens into job market.
Andrew Gillum: Restorative justice programs to reduce teen recidivism.
Andrew Gillum: legalize marijuana, and tax it.
Ron DeSantis: No recreational marijuana; let voters decide medical usage.
Philip Levine: Combat the opioid epidemic by expanding Medicaid.
Andrew Gillum: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Andrew Gillum: Focus on opioid epidemic as medical issue.
Adam Putnam: Opposes marijuana legalization as a gateway drug.
Andrew Gillum: $1 billion Fair Share investment in public schools.
Andrew Gillum: Make college debt-free for nurses & teachers.
Philip Levine: Invest in public schools; stop funds to private/charters.
Ron DeSantis: Expand both charters & vouchers.
Ron DeSantis: Fund training for high schoolers who enter workforce.
Andrew Gillum: $1B on education: set minimum teacher salary at $50,000.
Ron DeSantis: Expand voucher and charters; stop Common Core.
Andrew Gillum: End punitive high-stakes testing regime.
Andrew Gillum: Debt-free college in exchange for 4 years' work in Florida.
Philip Levine: Replace high-stakes testing with more comprehensive scoring.
Andrew Gillum: Opposes vouchers for school choice.
Adam Putnam: More emphasis on technical training, not college.
Adam Putnam: Parental control of education, not state or federal.
Adam Putnam: Urges veto of school choice bill.
Energy & Oil|
Andrew Gillum: Withdrawal from Paris Climate accord is reckless.
Philip Levine: Against offshore drilling; invest instead in solar energy.
Philip Levine: Effectively tackled challenges of climate change in Miami.
Ron DeSantis: No carbon tax; no wind energy subsidy.
Philip Levine: $24M project to mitigate sea-rise in Miami Beach.
Andrew Gillum: Make Florida world leader in rooftop solar energy production.
Andrew Gillum: Transition Florida to clean energy as rapidly as possible.
Andrew Gillum: Climate change is a real; transition to clean energy.
Adam Putnam: Florida positioned to be˙oil˙hub˙for energy independence.
Andrew Gillum: Redirect freshwater flow, with pollution standards.
Ron DeSantis: Deal with Red Tide: clean the water; build a reservoir.
Ron DeSantis: Stop Lake Okeechobee discharges that caused algae crisis.
Andrew Gillum: Properly fund Florida Forever and Everglades restorations.
Andrew Gillum: EPA has critical role in protecting us from toxic pollution.
Andrew Gillum: EPA protects our families from corporate toxic pollution.
Adam Putnam: Unravel the EPA mess; it kills jobs & increases costs.
Families & Children|
Andrew Gillum: Invited same-sex couples to get married in Tallahassee.
Ron DeSantis: Protect faith-based noncooperation with gay marriage.
Andrew Gillum: Support American Exceptionalism.
Andrew Gillum: Trump's tariffs threaten Florida's workers, farmers.
Ron DeSantis: Trump's tariffs will get concessions from China.
Andrew Gillum: Support free trade with restrictions.
Andrew Gillum: Campaign funded by many small donors plus two billionaires.
Andrew Gillum: Make voter registration easier.
Andrew Gillum: Limit corporate money in campaigns.
Andrew Gillum: Universal background checks & assault weapon ban.
Andrew Gillum: Voting rights to former felons: they deserve a second chance.
Philip Levine: We need gun control reform with a common sense approach.
Ron DeSantis: Concealed carry statewide; open-carry on campuses.
Andrew Gillum: Prohibit bump stocks and assault weapons.
Ron DeSantis: Allow carrying guns openly and on college campuses.
Andrew Gillum: No right to guns for domestic abusers or mentally ill.
Rick Scott: 21-year-old age requirement & 3-day wait on gun purchases.
Andrew Gillum: Favors strong gun laws.
Adam Putnam: Expanded concealed weapon licenses program; largest in US.
Andrew Gillum: Operation Safe Neighborhood: community crime watch.
Andrew Gillum: Expand Medicaid in Florida; work toward Medicare-for-All.
Philip Levine: Expand Medicaid; give healthcare access to everyone.
Ron DeSantis: Repeal ObamaCare; health care isn't a right.
Andrew Gillum: Medicare-for-All, paid $1B restoration of corporate tax cuts.
Andrew Gillum: Medicare for all: universal health care is a right.
Ron DeSantis: No right to health care; that's just a bureaucratic right.
Andrew Gillum: Extend Medicaid to one million Floridians.
Andrew Gillum: Expand ObamaCare; Medicare for Al.
Andrew Gillum: Healthcare should be a fundamental right.
Gwen Graham: Apply ObamaCare to full-time workers, not 30 hours per week.
Philip Levine: Military veterans should receive the benefits they deserve.
Andrew Gillum: Opposes expanding the military.
Adam Putnam: Use conservation money to protect military bases.
Adam Putnam: Make Florida the most military friendly & vet friendly state.
Andrew Gillum: DACA is unconstitutional; opposes any path to citizenship.
Philip Levine: Fully supports a pathway to citizenship for immigrants.
Ron DeSantis: DACA is unconstitutional; opposes any path to citizenship.
Andrew Gillum: Protect borders without criminalizing undocumented people.
Ron DeSantis: Supports E-Verify; opposes sanctuary cities.
Andrew Gillum: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Andrew Gillum: Protect Dreamers from end of DACA.
Adam Putnam: Opposed anti-immigrant laws that might affect workers.
Adam Putnam: Muslim ban is offensive to American values.
Andrew Gillum: Supports state $15 minimum wage.
Philip Levine: For raising minimum wage; let local communities decide rate.
Andrew Gillum: Legally require hiring more women & minorities.
Principles & Values|
Andrew Gillum: Keep God in the public sphere.
Andrew Gillum: Religious-political dialogue good.
Andrew Gillum: Served a decade on City Commission and as Tallahassee mayor.
Andrew Gillum: Fight any attempt to privatize Social Security.
Ron DeSantis: Keep Florida a low-tax state; super-majority to raise taxes.
Philip Levine: Level the playing field; rich will pay their fair share.
Andrew Gillum: Economy should works for all, not just those at the top.
Adam Putnam: Opposes a "kayak tax" on non-motorized boats.
Andrew Gillum: Net neutrality protected FL communities & residents.
Philip Levine: Infrastructure must be modernized to meet 21st century needs.
Ron DeSantis: FCC requirement for net neutrality was a massive power grab.
Andrew Gillum: Greater emphasis on light rail and mass transit.
Andrew Gillum: Digital Harmony Project: computers & internet for schoolkids.
Adam Putnam: Get Fed money for infrastructure for roads.
War & Peace|
Andrew Gillum: America should be world's human rights champion.
Welfare & Poverty|
Andrew Gillum: Address income inequality; remake an innovation economy.
Andrew Gillum: Public/private program gets youth on right track.
Adam Putnam: Weeding out fraudulent charities.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Adam Putnam Florida Republican candidate for Florida Governor
- Andrew Gillum Florida Democratic candidate for governor of Florida
- Gwen Graham Florida Democratic candidate for Governor
- Philip Levine Florida Democratic candidate for governor of Florida
- Rick Scott Florida Republican Governor
- Ron DeSantis Florida Republican candidate for governor
The above quotations are from 2018 Florida Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)