Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2019 Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2019 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Asa Hutchinson (7) Arkansas Republican Governor
- Brad Little (11) Idaho Republican
- Brian Kemp (9) Georgia Republican candidate for Governor
- Charlie Baker (10) Massachusetts Republican Governor
- David Ige (3) Hawaii Democratic Governor
- Doug Burgum (8) North Dakota Republican candidate for Governor
- Doug Ducey (7) Arizona Republican Governor
- Eric Holcomb (5) Indiana Republican candidate for Governor
- Gavin Newsom (2) California Democratic Challenger
- Jared Polis (6) Colorado Democratic candidate for Colorado Governor
- Jim Justice (10) West Virginia Democratic nominee for governor
- John Carney (7) Delaware Democratic candidate for Governor
- Kim Reynolds (3) Iowa Republican
- Laura Kelly (4) Kansas Democratic candidate for governor of Kansas
- Mark Gordon (12) Wyoming Republican candidate for governor of Wyoming
- Mike Dunleavy (5) Alaska Republican candidate for governor of Alaska
- Mike Parson (3) Missouri Republican candidate for governor of Missouri
- Phil Bryant (5) Mississippi Republican Governor
- Ralph Northam (9) Virginia Democratic 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Mike Dunleavy: Our government spending far exceeds our revenue.
Brian Kemp: Georgians First Commission: more diverse economy.
Laura Kelly: Address financial crisis without new taxes.
Jim Justice: Balanced $217M budget deficit with no new taxes.
Mark Gordon: Define Rainy Day Account for "steady as she goes".
Brad Little: Look for too much spending on autopilot.
Ralph Northam: Ratify the Equal Rights Amendment.
Doug Burgum: Fly flags of ND tribal nations at Governor's Office.
Jared Polis: Remove deductions exploited by corporations at our expense.
Mike Dunleavy: Declare war on criminals.
Brian Kemp: Address the growing threat of gang activity.
Brian Kemp: Give non-violent offenders a second chance at life.
John Carney: Help ex-offenders back into community.
Asa Hutchinson: Give criminals a second chance.
Asa Hutchinson: Increased funding for law enforcement.
Eric Holcomb: Train prisoners to reduce recidivism.
Kim Reynolds: Restore ex-felon voting rights.
Mark Gordon: More funding for local police and sheriff's offices.
Brad Little: Expand community re-entry centers for former offenders.
Charlie Baker: Account for criminal history in dangerousness hearing.
Mike Dunleavy: More enforcement but also more drug treatment.
Brian Kemp: Deport drug cartel kingpins.
Jim Justice: Jim's Dream: job training program for drug addicts.
Jim Justice: Jim's Dream: $10M for equipment at vo-tech training centers.
Jim Justice: Adamantly opposed to recreational marijuana, but medical ok.
Ralph Northam: Think innovatively about treating pain, to avoid opioids.
Ralph Northam: Make marijuana possession a civil penalty only.
Brad Little: Five-year plan to face the scourge of opioid addiction.
Charlie Baker: Four pillars: prevention, education, treatment and recovery.
Doug Burgum: Remove shame and stigma from the disease of addiction.
David Ige: Universal pre-K crucial to education reform.
Brian Kemp: Invest in those who educate: keep teacher pay competitive.
Brian Kemp: $69 million in one-time funding for school security grants.
John Carney: Prioritize public education & supporting teachers.
John Carney: Support 700 teachers at high-needs schools.
Laura Kelly: Funding schools top budget priority, this year & every year.
Asa Hutchinson: Invest in tech education & early education.
Eric Holcomb: Early start on career paths in opportunity industries.
Eric Holcomb: $140M to increase teacher pay.
Kim Reynolds: Additional $93M to invest in our students.
Phil Bryant: Teachers deserve first pay raise since 2014.
Doug Ducey: Choice and competition brings about innovation.
Jared Polis: Started two public charter schools for at-risk youth.
Jim Justice: 5% teacher's pay raise, as part of education reform.
Mark Gordon: Wyoming Works: tech education to enable nimble workforce.
Ralph Northam: Pay raise for teachers, to retain the best and brightest.
Ralph Northam: More tuition assistance; protect consumers on student loans.
Brad Little: Invest in public school teacher salary increases.
Gavin Newsom: College without crushing debt for every young person.
Charlie Baker: Update Foundation Formula for urban vs. suburban districts.
Charlie Baker: Added 4,000 seats to vocational and technical schools.
Doug Burgum: Invest in K-12 for our No. 1 resource--our young people.
Energy & Oil|
John Carney: If Washington won't act on climate change, we will.
Jared Polis: Climate change threatens decreased snowpack for ski industry.
Mark Gordon: Coal for decades to come, so let's improve usage.
Mark Gordon: Make Wyoming a leader in advancing carbon sequestration.
Doug Burgum: Lignite (brown coal) is transforming power plant emissions.
David Ige: Strong guidelines for environmental protection.
Doug Ducey: 19-year drought: protect Lake Mead and Colorado River.
Jim Justice: Invest $14M in tourism and revenue comes flying right back.
Jim Justice: $60M upgrade to state parks.
Mark Gordon: Research controlling invasive species at state colleges & UW.
Brad Little: Replenish more water into aquifers than we remove.
Gavin Newsom: The water we drink & the air we breathe hang in the balance.
Doug Burgum: Innovation--not regulation--solves oil & gas challenges.
Families & Children|
Mike Dunleavy: Women & children face highest sexual assault rate in nation.
Laura Kelly: Must fix broken foster care system.
Asa Hutchinson: Reformed child welfare system with faith-based partners.
Eric Holcomb: Levels of Care program: Reduce infant mortality.
Phil Bryant: Pro-active on needs of foster children.
Jared Polis: Establish statewide paid family and medical leave program.
Charlie Baker: Reduced caseloads and licensed almost all social workers.
Phil Bryant: Mississippi is part of global market, from Tel Aviv to Tokyo.
Doug Ducey: USMCA: new trade deal with Mexico means jobs in Arizona.
Jim Justice: Supports tariffs that lead to good deals when dust settles.
Mark Gordon: Level the playing field for oil, gas, and mineral exports.
Mark Gordon: Establish trade offices in Taiwan, Japan, and across Asia.
Mike Parson: Restructure state government, and save $120M tax dollars.
Asa Hutchinson: Cut outdated regulations and cut government employees.
Doug Ducey: For every new law, repeal three old ones.
Doug Ducey: No legislative immunity: laws apply to lawmakers.
Ralph Northam: Finally allow no-excuse absentee voting.
Brad Little: Revoke two regulations for every new regulation implemented.
Phil Bryant: Protect schools from violence with active shooter drills.
Doug Ducey: Safe Arizona Schools Plan: more cops; more background checks.
Mark Gordon: Disarm students immediately when they bring guns to school.
Ralph Northam: More deaths due to guns than car accidents: so let's act.
Brian Kemp: Rural counties deserve a patient-centered healthcare system.
Brian Kemp: Don't expand the broken Medicaid system.
John Carney: Need to address high cost of health care.
Laura Kelly: KanCare-based Medicaid expansion to save rural hospitals.
Mark Gordon: Craft a state-led course on healthcare.
Brad Little: Honor the will of the people & implement Medicaid expansion.
Jim Justice: More programs for National Guard and veterans.
Mark Gordon: Establish Wyoming's first Veterans Skilled Nursing facility.
Ralph Northam: Tuition assistance for National Guard, plus Tech Talent.
Charlie Baker: $200 million rebuild of the Soldier's Home in Chelsea.
Doug Burgum: State income tax exemption on military retirement pay.
John Carney: Investment in new jobs means drop in unemployment.
Mike Parson: Fast Track: scholarships for technical training.
Phil Bryant: Apprenticeship program boosts economy.
Doug Ducey: Universal recognition for out-of-state occupational licenses.
Charlie Baker: Public private partnerships: Over 200,000 jobs created.
Charlie Baker: 50 miles of new gas pipe to fix Lawrence gas explosion.
Jim Justice: Totally exempt on your Social Security from State income tax.
Mike Dunleavy: No change in taxes without a vote of the People.
Asa Hutchinson: 2-4-5.9 plan: flatten & simplify rates, to spur growth.
Eric Holcomb: Exempt military pensions from state tax.
Jared Polis: Reduces taxes for the hardworking, instead of special breaks.
Brad Little: Inform taxpayers to increase state income tax withholdings.
Brian Kemp: Hi-speed internet for Great Recession in rural Georgia.
John Carney: Invest $3 billion in transportation infrastructure.
Mike Parson: Invest $350M in bridges, and $5M internet access.
Asa Hutchinson: Focus on technology education & Innovation Council.
Kim Reynolds: Access to high speed internet is crucial: dedicate $140M.
Jared Polis: Upgrade antiquated roads & limited public transit options.
Mark Gordon: Improve broadband internet for rural tele-health & more.
Ralph Northam: Ensure universal broadband access.
Brad Little: Adequate broadband infrastructure for both rural & urban.
Brad Little: Cybersecurity Task Force: modernize government data.
Charlie Baker: Over $8 billion on infrastructure for the T.
Doug Burgum: $1.5B for roads, water projects, & airport infrastructure.
Welfare & Poverty|
David Ige: Lease state land for affordable housing.
Brad Little: First-Time Home Buyer Account: tax break for young families.
Charlie Baker: Make housing policy with transportation policy in mind.
Doug Burgum: World poverty is down; world health is up; ND will benefit.
The above quotations are from 2019 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: